=

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Albinos Upset at "The Da Vinci Code"

"Critics cite a long list of albinos cast as heavies by Hollywood: The dreadlocked twins in "The Matrix Reloaded," a powder-haired hit man in the Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn crime romp "Foul Play," the pasty zombies in "The Omega Man," a sadistic killer in "Cold Mountain," even the wicked executioner in the fairy-tale comedy "The Princess Bride."
"Michael McGowan, an albino who heads the National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation, said "The Da Vinci Code" will be the 68th movie since 1960 to feature an evil albino."
The rest is here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Okay, I understand that he feels there should be more positive albino characters in movies. I agree.

But, think about this? How many movies, do you think, have been made since 1960 with evil non-albino villains?

Anyone?

For that matter, how many evil non-albino "women" have been featured as villains since 1960?

I should do something.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Suki said...

Elric is an albino hero from fantasy novels.

Albinos must be evil, though. Anything with red eyes must be evil. I am sooo tired of film's visual shorthand.

3:14 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Suki, I'm tired of filmland's lack of imagination, and its acceptance of sterotype as reality.

I've met quite a few albinos in this life, and am a distant relative to one (we called her "Blondie"--she hated that). I don't have any personal associations linking albinism with evil. In terms of movie semiology, however, the poit is clear. Of course, the albino monk was a main character in Dan Brown's novel, so if "The Da Vinci Code" were to be put onscreen, then the monk would still, presumably, be albino.

Come to think about it, I opened for Johnny Winter at the Stone Pony way back when. After I got off stage, the president of my label told me that he had hung out with Winter in his trailer, where the rock star videotaped my band.

Do you think that Mr. Winter has any intention of using that footage for evil purposes? To blackmail me, for example?

Hmm.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

X, you are a fascinating guy. Johnny Winter is one of my fvorite musicians. I own at least a dozen recordings.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator