=

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Some Movies I Like

Conspiracy
"Suddenly" Frank Sinatra plays a would-be presidential assassin. After the JFK thing, he withdrew the film from public consumption and it wasn't seen again until the late 1980s. Sinatra's son was kidnapped shortly after JFK's murder and some have speculated it was done to draw attention away from the Slaying of the Divine King. (Yeah, like people care more about Junior than a slain president.) You can watch the movie, free, here.

Occult
"Horror Hotel" Witchcraft in New England circa 1960. Spooky. A great climax (I won't spoil it).

Obscure Weirdness
"Wise Blood" Brad Dourif plays Hazel Motes, a mixed-up Southerner who starts his own church--The Church of Jesus Christ Without Christ. Best line: "Shake hands with Gonga!" Based on a Flannery O'Connor story.

"The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse" Psychiatrist (Edward G. Robinson) becomes fascinated with the criminal mind and hooks up with a gang of crooks led by Humphrey Bogart. He takes their vital signs while in the act of committing crimes. Weird.

"Wild in the Streets" 1960s teenagers revolt and take over. The government, everything. Anyone over 30 is put into concentration camps. Shelley Winters is force-fed LSD at Camp #23!

UFO/SF
"Repo Man" You got an alien in a car trunk, a secret government organization after the alien, punk rock, and great lines from Harry Dean Stanton ("Look at 'em!
Normal people! I f*ckin' hate 'em!")

3 Comments:

Blogger Suki said...

I have to watch Horror Hotel! Its director worked on some of my favorite tv shows, namely Magnum PI, Jake & the Fat Man, and Murder She Wrote!!!!

I'm not being facetious, either. I love somewhat less than mediocre detective tales.

1:43 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I've only seen one of those movies, "Repo Man," and I agree it is a gem. Harry Dean Stanton's ascension should be regarded as a classic film moment.

I've read a lot about "Suddenly," but I have yet to see it in the local videostores (not that they have a wide selection in this neighborhood anyway.

The others look good, and if I find them, I'm gonna rent them.

I figure if you chose "Repo Man," at least you have some modicum of taste.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

It's been so long since I saw Repo Man, but I loved it!

Wow. I'm a serious movie watcher and you got me on these. I made a list. Looking forward to seeing them.

I don't think I ever sent my votes back on our movies. Oops. I think a lot of mine were grouped together in one box. (Think most of those were my recos. heh heh)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator