=

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Two Rock & Roll Coincidences

Last Saturday afternoon, after grocery shopping, we headed over to the St. George Library. While driving, we listened to the radio rock & roll; specifically, WFMU. As I was parking on Hyatt Street, the Saturday afternoon radio chick announced that the last cut was by a band with the moniker Detroit Cobras. As I stepped around the car to feed the meter, an empty can of King Cobra malt liquor lay dead there in the gutter. Inside the library, I perused the sale book section. One caught my eye–a novel called “The Dead Circus.” I read the description inside the front cover. It was about a gritty L.A. cop investigating the strange death of rockabilly Bobby Fuller (”I Fought the Law“) and possible connections to the Manson Family*. At the Pathmark about 15 minutes earlier, they had played “I Fought the Law” on their sound system.
*Oh, and by the way, Doris Day's son Terry Melcher who hung out with the Manson clan had a minor surf hit called "Hey, Little Cobra."

2 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

Mae Brussell thought that the untimely deaths of most rock stars smacked of conspiracy--Bobby Fuller's even more so.

If I ever get to a scanner, I'll post a chart I've got at home of rock and roll deaths vs. US and UK averages for the general population.

Apparently, being a rock star isn't good for your health. Either that, or speaking English.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Suki said...

Having been married to a rock'n'roll drummer, I can honestly say it is not good for your health.
1. You are always travelling somewhere. Bus, car, train, plane.
2.Drugs are everywhere. It's no exaggeration. When we got married, all of his friends gave us drugs for wedding gifts. Not light stuff either: cocaine, exstacy, speed, etc.
3. Neptune, the planet that rules music and musicians, also rules drugs, religion (think Marilyn Manson and fans who worship musicians), poisoning, and conspiracy.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator