=

Friday, March 03, 2006

Jackie Gleason and the Flying Saucers


Excellent article about the great comedian and his interest in flying saucers (note I prefer the term "flying saucers" to "UFOs." It sounds a bit more romantic than the clinical acronym.) President Nixon showed him the aliens!

"But it wasn't till after Warren had downed a few beers and Gleason had had a number of drinks-"his favorite, Rob Roys"-that conversation really got down to brass tacks. "At some point, Gleason turned to me and said, 'I want to tell you something very amazing that will probably come out some day anyway. We've got em!' 'Got what', I wanted to know? 'Aliens!' Gleason sputtered, catching his breath." According to Warren, Jackie proceeded to tell him the intriguing set of circumstances that led him to the stunning conclusion that extraterrestrials have arrived on our cosmic shores. "It was back when Nixon was in office that something truly amazing happened to me," Gleason explained. "We were close golfing buddies and had been out on the golf course all day when somewhere around the 15th hole, the subject of UFOs came up. Not many people know this," Gleason told Warren, "but the President shares my interest in this matter and has a large collection of books in his home on UFOs just like I do. For some reason, however, he never really took me into his confidence about what he personally knew to be true... one of the reasons being that he was usually surrounded by so many aids and advisers." Later that night, matters changed radically, when Richard Nixon showed up at Gleason's house around midnight. "He was all alone for a change. There were no secret service agents with him or anyone else. I said, 'Mr. President, what are you doing here?' and he said he wanted to take me someplace and show me something." Gleason got into the President's private car and they sped off into the darkness - their destination being Homestead Air Force Base."

1 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

That story was based on an interview given by Beverly McKintrick, Gleason's (I believe) 2nd wife.

Gleason demonstrated a profound interest in the subject. His knowledge of ufos was deeper than most ufologists, and he had a passion for destroying misinformation about the phenomenon.

At the following URL, you can find an audio transcript of Gleason and Long John Nebel from the late-1950s:

http://www.konsulting.com/audio_clips.htm

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator