=

Monday, April 03, 2006

The "Book"

I've been thinking about my future career. I'm talking about the dystopian not-too-distant future, with PowerDown extant, with The Long Emergency going on, and with the Die-Off waiting in the wings.
I want to be The Book.
In the movie Soylent Green, Edward G. Robinson played Sol, The Book. According to Wikipedia, "book refers to people who work with books, such as researchers. Sol Roth is referred to by Thorn as a 'book'. Actual books are rare, and no longer printed."
So, with little juice to power computers, satellites falling from the sky, global-warming disruptions, etc., some analogistics will be creeping back into everyday life. My house is filled with analogistics in the form of books, old magazines, pamphlets, samizdat 'zines, etc., and I'm picking up more all the time. Last Friday night (recycling night in my neighborhood) when walking home from happy hour, I liberated two bound piles of books from someone's recycling pile.
Need to know something? Come see me. I just might have that info you need on how to make a solar cooking oven out of a cardboard box. (Wait, indeed I do: Cooking With the Sun.)
Info on just about anything, plus escapist fiction, to help you the rough times, the future times. The Coming Re-Analoguing.
I want to be The Book.

(Hmm, I've written about "becoming a book," without once metioning Fahrenheit 451.)

2 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

In a recent open Q&A session, Bush sidestepped a question about whether or not he shared an apocalyptic vision, the belief that the world would end anytime soon.

Of course, being Bush, he didn't sidestep it deftly. I'm sure most of the people in that Q&A, as well as most Americans, began to believe that the "President" was preparing for the end times.

If such is the case, we have this Louis XV situation where a generation of elites will say "surely, the Earth will last as long as I." That's probably true. On the day I die, I'm pretty sure that people will still drive automobiles, have enough electricity for lights, etc. The problem will be that they might become prohibitively expensive, unless we take measures now.

What's worse is that the real crises will occur once all of us have shuffled off this mortal coil. We'll occupy the ironic position of being digital people who sent their progeny into an analog future.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Suki said...

If you "become a book" and firemen start burning books, then you will have to live in hiding, book man.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator