=

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Mayan Madness

So Mel Gibson has a movie coming out this summer about the Maya and the beginnings of the end of their civilization. It's called Apocalypto, and you can see the trailer here. Looks pretty cool. Hope there is lots of carving-still-beating-sacrificial-hearts-out-of-chests action.

Meanwhile, a scientist asserts that New Age Dec. 21, 2012 doom and gloomers have bogusly appropriated the Mayan calendar:

"According to the ancient Mayan Long Count calendar, a cycle of more than 5,000 years will come to fruition on the winter solstice of 2012. While this date is largely unknown among contemporary Maya, some participants in the New Age movement believe it will mark an apocalyptic global transformation. Hundreds of books and Internet sites speculate wildly about the 2012 date, but little of this conjecture has a factual basis in Mayan culture. This paper provides an overview of the primary currents in the 2012 phenomenon, examines their sources, and speculates about developments as this highly anticipated date approaches." (This is the abstract from the paper, which is on line but you gotta pay.)

You can read a news article here about the scientist and his assertion.

4 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

I have fond memories of the wild end-of-the-world parties I attended in 1978, 1979, and 1981, each time held on the eve before somebody predicted the Earth would go bye-bye.

Six years to the next big shebang? Better make my reservations now.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Suki said...

When the world is ending, I won't hardly notice my house being torn asunder because I will be watching the disaster coverage on my cell phone.

12:04 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I'm tempted to ask Suki if Ford Perfect will be standing next to her while she watches her "house being torn asunder," but I won't because I know she hates references to Douglas Adams.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Suki said...

If Ford were there, that'd be good, wouldn't it? Because I'd be saved from certain death.

Which brings me to the thought of Aliens. The Douglas Adams Wacky Pack were happy aliens,--ok, neurotic aliens--not unlike humans. Now, in sf films and books, aliens are always-- ok, often--hateful, intelligent bugs. That's anti-intellectualism in America for you. Why aren't the aliens that come to take over earth ever stupid? Sure, maybe the guys who made the ships were smart, but that doesn't mean everyone in the entire alien society is smart--including a few aliens who choose to join the military. I do not fear the smart. I fear the stooopid.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator