=

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Giants. Real? Myth? Conspiracy?

The giant. A monster of myth. Or is it based on truth?

Stories of giants have circulated for centuries. We have the Titans Ancient Gods - The Titans and the Gigantes MYTH MAN'S GIANTS PAGE. We have Magog and Gog, the last of the British giants forced to stand guard for Brutus. We have stories that depict Hercules and even King Arthur as giants. Names of Giants

I became interested in these old stories at a young age and for two reasons. One, my interest in myth and one based on reality. Myths interested me -- especially the Norse ones. In fact, I had a fascination with Norse culture early. My name is even Norse and it means giant -- a fact friends find infinitely amusing since I'm nearly six feet tall. Rinda, or Rind, was a man-hating ice queen and giant who became Odin's third wife. The Northmen had a running joke that whenever their weather grew unnatually warm, the ice queen was being nice to Odin. The myths about this giantess range from her yielding to the battle god to her being tricked and raped into having his child.

In The Norsemen, a collection of folklore by Guerber, Odin's third wife, Rinda, was a personification of the hard and frozen earth who reluctantly yielded to her husband. According to the same story, she kept turning the God down and in a fit of anger, he beat her with a rune wand until she promised to marry him. A couple of links: Mythology Notes , wotmania: feed your wheel of time addiction

So, I had my interest in Norse giants, but I also had an interest in real, human giants. A member of my extended family suffered from gigantism, a long-suffering, extremely painful disease. People who have this illnss rarely live past early adulthood.

Anna Swann who grew to 7 feet 11 inches .

Robert Wadlow. When he died at 22, he was nearly nine feet tall.

So, what do you think? Could the stories of races of giants be real? Could they be based on real people who suffered from a very real disease? Or, as this article suggests, is there a very "real" conspiracy going on here? Did Giants Really Roam the Earth? - Associated Content

12 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

Seeing that there are giants among us (NBA star Yao Ming, for example), I don't suppose it's out of the question to wonder if they have some sort of genetic predisposition towards unchecked growth.

(I'm hoping Doc. T might shed some light on this)

We have numerous mentions of giants in mythology. From the Judeo-Christian there's the story of Goliath. In Greco Roman there are the Titans.

I've read a bit about Wadlow. He was evidently a pretty cool guy, and rather wise despite the brevity of his life. He tolerated exhibiting himself as a "freak" in order to feed his family through rough times, and brushed off numerous personal attacks with gentleness and humor.

Unfortunately, giants do not live long, but as far as I know Sandy Allen's still alive (though nowadays she walks with a cane).

(http://www.tallwomen.org/tallest/heights/tallest2.htm)

5:02 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

By the way, I think tall women are cool too. But then again, I'm not a Nordic.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

My second-cousin suffered from gigantism. (His last name was Allen, too. ) He made it to his early forties which is highly unusual. He never stopped growing and as a child, I marveled over the size of his hands and head.

Goliath was originally in this piece, but I shortened it considerably.

My husband's family are all barely over five feet. His step mother and sisters are under five feet. Every time they see me they're always startled. It's comical.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Argh. His last name wasn't Allen. His first name was. I've been playing volleyball... in the sun... in the heat...

7:45 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:46 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

That Oklahoma sun will do it to ya every time:-)

7:58 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Yes, it's killer. It feels like summer. Plus, I was playing a fourteen year-old. I'm beat. And a wuss apparently...

8:01 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

You're not a wuss. You're just not fourteen, anymore.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Truth hurts.

Did you read the last linked article about the bones found-- now missing?

8:13 PM  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Oh, that site you gave is great! Shoes and clothes for us giants!

The guy that does the site is 5'8".

My husband is 5'8 and likes tall women, too. heh heh

8:16 PM  
Blogger Johnny said...

Good pic selection Rinda. Excellent post.

12:49 AM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Yeah, I did, Rinda. Art Bell used to cover that topic quite a bit when he hosted "Coast to Coast."

An old friend of mine (5'6") married a woman who is six feet tall, and before that dated a woman who was six foot one. My friend explained, "What can I say? I like the climb."

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator