=

Saturday, April 01, 2006

What would I do if I knew I could not fail?

The view of life on your way out is very different than it is on the way in. I’ve looked back at the things I wanted to do and the things I actually did, and I now know what real regret is. John Greenleaf Whittier knew what it was.

For of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: “It might have been!”
I refuse to say “it might have been!” I fully intend to look back, smile, and I have fought the good fight, I have run the race to win.

I have dedicated my life to the study of science. It’s time I made use of it. I have done what Sir Isaac Newton did – recognize the obvious. Scientist laughingly call time a dimension and yet they say you can’t travel backwards through it. I don’t have the heart to tell them how wrong they are. I have put every fiber of my being into the study of time and trans-dimensional travel. I did not mind sacrificing everything to achieve my goal. You see, I knew I couldn’t fail. Going back in time is as easy as walking through a door if one knows where the door is and how to walk.

I’m going to step through that door now and visit myself when I was young and optimistic. I’m going to tell me how my life ended up. I’m going to teach all those things I now know which I wish I would have known then. It’s said that if one wants to make the world a better place, they should let the change begin with them. I think they’re right so I’m going to go back and change me. Most importantly, I’m going to teach me that at the end of our lives we regret the things we did not do, more than we regret the things we did do.







have been!”

2 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

I consider the elderly to be backwards time travelers. You want to relive the 1920s? Why not do it with a man who bought a brand-spanking-new, state-of-the-art Model T, fresh off the assembly line? Or a woman who can show you how to Charleston?

I know that Hawking has reconsidered his opinion of backwards time travel. I'm no scientist, but I'm of the understanding that Einstein's theory of relativity led to scores of equations that make travel to the future possible, but not travel to the past.

There was a story covered by all the wire services in the fall of 2004 that has gone down the memory hole. The Securities and Exchange Commission questioned a trader who had profited tremendously from eleven days of high-risk trading. According to the wires, this unnamed guy had capitalized on a series of longshot positions, and didn't lose money on a single one.

The SEC suspected him of some kind of deep insider trading (his trades involved numerous companies). But when questioned, the man insisted that he was a time traveler from the future, who came back to strike it rich, and deposit the money in a bank that would still be around centuries later, for him to collect.

The AP ran two articles on this case, before dropping it completely. Obviously, the most likely explanation for losing interest is that AP found the story to be a hoax. The case could have been dropped for "national security" reasons as well. Either way, it would have been nice for AP to explain.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Suki said...

A great meditation is to imagine yourself as a very old person, and really get into the details of the room around you, etc., and imagine what this person would tell you for advice right now.

I can tell, as a young person, that you were more cautious than I. I followed that philosophy of doing things because I didn't want to regret not doing them. Regret is just as bad, whether you do the deed or not! ;)

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Who links to me? BlogTagstic - Blog Directory iopBlogs.com, The World's Blog Aggregator